The MHFA instructor programme is accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health.
Become a Mental Health First Aider, by attending an online interactive course and help make a positive difference within your workplace and community, becoming one of over three million people worldwide MHFAs.
- The Office for National Statistics revealed that the total number of days lost to sickness absence in 2018 were 141.4 million (Report Nov 2019). 12.4% of this was due to mental health conditions including stress, anxiety and depression.
- From Public Health England: 1 in 6 adults will have experienced a common mental health disorder in any given week
- The total cost of mental ill health in England is estimated at £105 billion a year
- Men aged 40-49 have the highest suicide rates in the UK.
Adult Mental Health First Aid Course (Online interactive or Two Day Face to Face deliveries)
This course teaches participants the skills, knowledge and confidence to spot the signs / understand the triggers and help others when they are experiencing mental health difficulties, with sensitivity, empathy and understanding. And in turn help reduce stigma and discrimination around mental ill health.
The course is delivered in four manageable chunks covering: mental health; suicide and depression; anxiety, self harm and eating disorders and psychosis.
The Mental Health First Aid course provides:
An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support — whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix of these.
- Online Interactive Course: 4 online interactive sessions (2 – 2.5 hours each) with 4 individual self-learning sessions too. This course can be delivered over a period of a week, two weeks duration and with the option of a two day delivery too.
- Learning takes place through a mix of group discussions and activities, videos, slides and case studies to embed the learning experience.
- Numbers are limited to per course for the instructor to keep participants safe and supported with their learning
- During the course you will be provided with your own detailed MHFA manual, workbook and quick reference MHFA Checklist
- Upon completion of the course you will receive an MHFA Certificate
Feedback / Quotes/ Recommendations:
“Melissa was absolutely brilliant – she brought her experiences into the conversation at relevant times and didn’t go off on tangents. She was very calm and patient, allowing us time to think, talk freely and if we didn’t quite get an answer right she explained without being judgemental. She is so knowledgeable and really made me feel supported and confident to ask questions or say I wasn’t sure about an answer. I would definitely recommend Melissa to others thinking about doing a MHFA course. I don’t think any of my words could do justice to explain how great Melissa was over the two days, and she checked in with me in between the sessions to see how I was doing – a really nice touch! Thank you Melissa, you have made me feel empowered to help others who are experiencing poor mental health. I feel like I can make a positive impact on the world with the skills you have taught me.” Attendee/Nov21
“Such a thought provoking course. Melissa was a brilliant facilitator- with excellent knowledge and presentation skills Would definitely recommend” Attendee/Oct21
“Melissa is an extremely skilled professional, who was able to connect with learners in a very calm, natural and educational way. She made everybody feel at ease to share their opinion and experiences relating to the topics discussed, always being caring and respectful of each person’s emotions. Very supportive, approachable and knowledgeable. The course was delivered in an engaging, informative and clear manner, catering for all participants’ needs.” Attendee/Oct21
“I found the course extremely informative and comprehensive. The nature of the topics on the course were very tough, but Melissa checked in to ensure we were OK and offered additional support if needed. Would highly recommend the course and Melissa.” Attendee/Aug21
“This was by far the best MH course or any type of course I have attended! It was planned and delivered exceptionally. I have learnt a lot that can be used on a daily basis, especially the strategies, including ALGEE and language, that will prove to be invaluable to my role.Thank you.” MHFA Attendee/July21
“this course was excellent working through a huge range of topics and was comprehensive in terms of future resources. If feel that the course is essential post Covid and that the frontline workers should all access this training. The pace and delivery of content was excellent and will be recommending to others” MHFA Attendee/Mar 21
” I found it enlightening, fascinating and an eye opener. I highly recommend the course and tutor” MHFA Attendee/Mar 21
“very mindful of the wellbeing of attendees and took great care to listen to everyones views and opinions …a great opportunity to learn in a safe and engaging environment” MHFA Attendee/Feb 21
“Having the skills to use the Action Plan at the right time can save lives” MHFA Attendee/Jan21
“It’s been a complete eye-opener for me” MHFA Attendee/21